Environment-Friendly Practices and Policies
As a member of the PMG Family, we recognize our responsibility to practice and promote sustainability. In fact, a number of our clients are environmental advocacy organizations and these organizations have made great role models over the years!
- Recycling: bottles, cans, paper, cardboard, light bulbs.
- We installed a water dispenser and stopped purchasing plastic water bottles.
- Lights are turned off when a room is not in use. Energy-efficient lighting is used. Hall lighting is motion-controlled (we are in a LEED-certified building).
- Multifunction printers are programmed for black, not color printing. Items are printed double-sided whenever possible. Toner cartridges are recycled.
- We employ the services of a Printer Management firm. They have installed software that allows us to monitor usage and move or replace printers that are being improperly utilized or are inefficient or wasteful.
- We installed an E-Fax system that allows employees to send and receive faxes directly via their computers. This enabled us to eliminate several fax machines and the corresponding paper consumption. (Yes, we still have a few clients/suppliers who use faxes!)
- Computers, printers, and non-essential equipment are powered down during non-business hours or when not in use.
- Obsolete computer equipment is recycled.
- Individual temperature controls in offices and cubicle clusters allow us to fine-tune the heating and cooling.
- Lunchroom and full kitchen provided to reduce travel at lunchtime. Flatware is used instead of plastic utensils, and glasses instead of paper cups.
- Our janitorial company uses “green” cleaning products.
- The company enacted a telecommuting policy in 2007 that encourages most employees with more than one year of service to work from home two days a week. In addition, we have increased our hiring of full-time remote employees who work from home and are studying additional ways to reduce employee commuting. All job-related systems are accessible via the Internet.
- We print our business cards, stationery, etc on recycled stock.
- Our marketing communications are primarily via email. This includes our Cause & Effect e-newsletter, periodic Industry Alerts, event promotions, and press releases.
- We produced a “Green Issue” of Cause & Effect for our clients, colleagues, and suppliers, touting the benefits of using recycled and certified stocks and showing specific pricing scenarios to underscore the minimal cost differences. For the few hundred copies we hard-printed, FSC stock was used.